Thursday, June 26, 2008

Clean Shoes

This has got to be one of the best stories of how Nicole and I ended up with clean shoes (without even doing anything!)

We have a friend who works for us cleaning, doing dishes, etc. kind of like a maid, but so much more.  She is incredibly friendly, even though I can't really communicate with her as much as I'd like.  She comes to our place every Wednesday morning.  When we come home, we are continually surprised by her ingenuity.  It is amazing what she thinks of to help us out. It's in the little things like, using a cup as a toothbrush holder, reorganizing our fridge, and putting our shoes in the washer the day before we leave for Turkey.  Yep, you read that right.  She did this out of the kindness of her heart and we really do appreciate it, but our shoes were still drying as we were wearing them on the plane ride to Turkey.  

So here's how it happened.  Nicole and I were upstairs at our mentor's house playing with their children, having a good time.  Our mentor asked if I wanted to go somewhere with him.  So I went downstairs to put my shoes on.  I couldn't find them.  Usually when she cleans the floors, she puts them in the window threshold, a random basket, etc. so they're not in the same spot all the time.  After looking for them for about 5-10 min, our mentor asks F*****h (no, it's not a swear word, I just want to respect her privacy) where she put our shoes.  She replied, "Well, they were upstairs playing with the children, so I put them in the washing machine.  I didn't think they'd need them for a coulple of hours."  After that she apoligized profusely.

I am really happy that she thought of cleaning our shoes, but unfortunately they take a little longer than a couple of hours to air dry...

So now you know the story of how we have clean shoes.

No comments: